Friday 20 December 2013

DIY Gifts for The Holidays

The holiday season has crept up on me so fast!! Literally I can't believe that Christmas is in five days!! You guys all voted, and DIY gifts was the winner! Like most of you, I love giving gifts, almost more than receiving them, but it feels better when it's handmade. I don't know what it is but it almost fells more meaningful if you put more effort into. You guys all voted, and DIY gifts was the winner so I decided to give you guys five gift examples so that you have a selection. Lets get to it!!



1. 52 Things I Love About You
         This might just be my favorite gift of all, but I mean it's so hard to choose! I really love this gift because it's so personal and it really shows you care.  I mean honestly who wouldn't want to receive 52 different things that someone you're close to loves about you!? Plus, this can be for anyone.
What You'll Need:
1 deck of cards, some paper (any color you want), colorful markers, a hole puncher, and ribbon.

Step 1: Take out the jokers and such so that you have only the cards you usually would play with. Then hole punch each card in the top middle corner, and the bottom middle corner corner.
Step 2: Fold paper around each cards middle, and on each card write one thing you love about the person you're writing it for. 
Step 3: Thread the ribbon through the holes you made and knot them. 
Step 4: Give it to the person you planned and watch their face light up. 

2. Homemade Snow-globe
         Yes this is cheesy, but so adorbs at the same time! I love snow-globes because you'll always have it, and you never get tired of shaking it and watching the snow fall. If you want to make a snow-globe for just one person, like me, put a picture of the two of you (laminated of course) in the globe. 
What You'll Need:
A jar, glitter, and any picture/figurine.
Step 1: Glue/put your laminated picture in the globe, I glued mine on one side of the jar. Just make sure you glue the picture upside down so that when you flip it over it's right side up. 
Step 2:  Fill with water and glitter, and don't be afraid to go crazy with the glitter!
Step 3: If you want to, you can create a cute little scene on the lid ( I chose not to).
Step 4: Glue the lid on with super glue, and shake it up!!

3. Your Very Own Hand Warmers
        I know what you're thinking, how is that possible? I though hand warmers used chemicals and all that crazy stuff! But this is different? Have you ever heard of those cool rice packs where you heat them up and they get all warm? Yup, this is the mini, cuter version of these!
What You'll Need:
Fleece (any color), rice, and a sewing needle + string.
Step 1: Cut your fleece into any shape you want, but make sure you cut it a little bigger than you want because you will be stuffing it with rice
Step 2: Sew all around the fleece EXCEPT for one little hole where you will stuff the rice in. If you don't know how to sew click here for an easy tutorial.
Step 3: Fill rice, and finish stitching around the whole thing, then heat up for 30 seconds
Step 4: Enjoy your toasty warm hands!!

4. Phone Case
No, I'm not creating the whole case, just decorating, but who doesn't love that!! zi love to this because you can make your own case to your taste. Plus, it's so easy!
What You'll Need:
A clear/plain phone case, anything you want to decorate (I used rhinestones)
Step 1: Take your case and, in my case, glue the rhinestones on in any pattern you want. I decided to use a clear case and and only decorate the bottom corner.
Step 2: Use the case, or what I like to do, take any picture and cut to the size to further personalize your case (shown above).

5.  Decorated Mug
This gift is great because 1. You can make it whatever you want. 2. You/the person you give it to can use it every day!
What You'll Need:
A white mug, colorful sharpies, and your creativity.
Step 1: Draw what you want to 
Step 2: Put you mug in the oven at about 350-400 degrees and let cool.
Step 3: Enjoy! 
One tip that I have is to wash you mug by hand, not in the dish washer otherwise you design may come off.



 Happy Holidays!! 
- Megan

 

1 comment:

  1. Yay I just read all your blog posts! You have a lot of really good tips and techniques to use!! I'll read all your posts from now on ;)

    ReplyDelete